Date of Award

5-2014

Document Type

Thesis

Degree Name

Master of Arts (MA)

Department

Anthropology

First Advisor

Beverly Chiarulli, Ph.D.

Second Advisor

Phillip Neusius, Ph.D.

Third Advisor

Benjamin Ford, Ph.D.

Abstract

Between 1755 and the late 1760s Fort Morris stood as part of a line of frontier forts to protect the growing town of Shippensburg, Pennsylvania from Native American attacks during the French and Indian War. Through time the location of Fort Morris has been lost and only sparse and contradicting documentation of the fort exists today. In an effort to locate the palisade walls of Fort Morris, geophysical surveys were conducted on four properties along East Burd Street in Shippensburg. These geophysical surveys included the use of ground penetrating radar (GPR) and magnetic susceptibility within five survey areas within the properties of 329, 335, 322 and 324 East Burd Street.

Share

COinS