Blairsville College for Women Photograph
A photograph of the Blairsville College for Women, located in Blairsville, Pennsylvania. The date that this photograph was taken is unknown. According to Stephenson's "Indiana County 175th Anniversary History" the Blairsville Female Seminary was established by Presbyterian pastor George Hill around 1851. Hill rented a brick building, which became the students' boarding house. A one-story structure was added as a classroom. The school was undertaken because of the public's interest in promoting the education of women. Sarah Knott and Cornelia Clark were engaged as assistant teachers. Reverend and Mrs. S. H. Shepley joined the staff later and played a significant role in the school's administration. The School became the Blairsville College for women. Control of the college was passed to Reverend J. R. Hughes in April 1865.
Box 7, Clarence D. Stephenson Special Collection
Blairsville College for Women
"Blairsville College for Women Photograph" (2019). Indiana, Pennsylvania in the Civil War. 12.
The digitized images of letters, photographs, and other items from the Clarence D. Stephenson Special Collection in the “Indiana, Pennsylvania in the Civil War” exhibit are the property of the Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County, Pa. These images may only be used for non-commercial, educational purposes under “Fair Use” guidelines. For additional information contact: HGSIC, 621 Wayne Avenue, Indiana, Pa. 15701; (724) 463-9600. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County, PA; Clarence D. Stephenson Special Collection