Download Full Text (1.3 MB)
The Meaning of the Monument, A Poem by Frank Cowan, which was read at the dedication of the Soldiers' Monument, erected by Major A.M. Harper Post, No. 181, Department of Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic, at Braddock, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Saturday, on September 10, 1887. The poem was printed by William G. Johnston and Company in 1887, and is eight pages long. On the back cover of the pamphlet is a black and white illustration of the Grand Army of the Republic Veteran medal.
Cowan, Frank, "The Meaning of the Monument: A Poem by Frank Cowan, September 10, 1887" (1887). Indiana, Pennsylvania in the Civil War. 260.
The digitized images of letters, photographs, and other items from the Shields Collection in the “Indiana, Pennsylvania in the Civil War” exhibit are the property of the Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County, Pa. These images may only be used for non-commercial, educational purposes under “Fair Use” guidelines. For additional information contact: HGSIC, 621 Wayne Avenue, Indiana, Pa. 15701; (724) 463-9600. Email email@example.com.
The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana, PA; Shields Collection